A NOTE FROM OUR PASTOR
St. Paul wrote "for the equipping of the saints for works of service to build up the body of Christ." Ephesians 4:12 (NASB)
Service to the body of Christ is how he identifies the role of pastoral leadership in the church. "The saints" are equipped to do the work necessary in serving Christ through the local church: Evangelism, education, missions, special ministries, and, of course, worship.
It has been a pleasure for Judy and I to serve Ashford Memorial Methodist Church these last 15 years. We are grateful you called us and laid hands on us so the Holy Spirit could use us in renewing and rebuilding this "Beacon on the Hill" congregation. Together we have brought spiritual care to the Watkinsville/Oconee community.
As many of you know, we spent 17 years in local Methodist Church ministry before we returned to active duty in the Air Force Chaplaincy. Those 14 years I functioned more as a DS/Bishop "recruiting, training, equipping" and deploying 800 chaplains, chaplain assistants and candidates for the purpose of bringing spiritual care to Air Force personnel. Very rewarding work but we were ready to return to our original calling of local church ministry after my Air Force retirement. You all know the Divine appointments which followed to bring us here, and the Lord has been once again bringing about Divine appointments.
We have been blessed beyond our imaginations by the love and support we have received from all of you in this revitalizing ministry. While we will be retired, we will still be around with a very low profile. So we extend our welcome and best wishes to Robert, Kate, and their family, knowing you will bless them as you have blessed us.
Grace & Peace,
Larry & Judy
FROM THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
UPDATE ON ASHFORD'S RESPONSE TO COVID-19:
Below are our current COVID-19 response guidelines as adopted in May by the Board:
As COVID-19 case numbers in Georgia continue to decline, and the number of Georgians receiving COVID-19 vaccinations continues to rise, the Ashford Memorial Church Board of Directors continues to reassess and update our COVID-19 response guidelines.
1. Singing: We are resuming singing hymns during our worship service. We strongly request that all in attendance please wear a mask while singing. The choir will not yet resume singing but hopefully will soon.
2. Masks: We have changed our mask policy during Sunday morning worship and Sunday School from "Mandatory" to "Highly Recommended." As stated above, please wear your mask while singing.
3. Sunday Lunches: We are resuming church lunches after Sunday worship.
4. Attendance: No sign up is required to attend worship services. Please feel free to attend any service with your entire family, including children and guests.
5. Children's Church and Nursery: Both have restarted every Sunday. Children's Church now starts at 11:00 when the adult service starts, so feel free to bring your child down to the Fellowship Hall before church starts.
6. Seating: We are no longer blocking off every other row in the sanctuary. We just ask that you and your family try your best to distance from other families by 3 feet if possible.
7. Offering: Offering plates remain available by the doors as you exit.
8. Remote Viewing: We continue to offer viewing of our Sunday service live on YouTube, but we hope that as you feel more comfortable, you and your entire family will get back in the habit of attending in person and sharing in the fellowship of worshiping together.
Please know that we appreciate all of you, and your perspectives are very important to our church. We are trying our very best to help Ashford serve God's glory by reaching as many members as possible in a safe and spiritually fulfilling manner. We hope that you will continue to support our church and its mission through your attendance, service, gifts, and most importantly prayers.
Thank you for continuing to support Ashford financially. We are set up to receive PayPal, if that is more convenient for you. We are blessed to be able to continue to support our missions, service people, and ongoing church expenses.
Sunday morning services will be streamed through our Ashford Memorial Methodist Church YouTube page.
TITHES AND OFFERINGS
Thank you for continuing to support Ashford financially. We are blessed to be able to continue to support our missions, service people, and ongoing church expenses.
Ashford now has a PayPal account. If you choose to use PayPal, please use the donate button below. As always, checks can be mailed to P. O. Box 344, Watkinsville, GA 30677.
LUNCH CELEBRATION FOR WELTONS
Please join us on Sunday, June 6th after the worship service for a
Covered Dish Lunch celebrating 15 Years of Judy and Larry Welton blessing our lives with their guidance, love, and friendship. The church will provide bread, drinks, and paper products. The Beers and Kisers will be providing the meat. Please sign-up on SignUp Genius to bring sides, desserts, or any other delicious goodies. Indoor and outdoor seating options will be available weather permitting. We hope your entire family can attend this celebration of two people so dear to all of us. Please feel free to invite any others whose lives have been blessed by Judy and Larry. For questions about the lunch, please contact Emily Givens.
MONDAY MORNING LADIES BIBLE STUDY will meet on Monday mornings at 10:00 a.m. The ladies will start a new bible study on June 7th. They will be doing the book "Exodus" by Jen Wilkens. You can order your book on Amazon or Lifeway. They will meet in the church fellowship hall. If you have any questions, please contact Beth Kraps.
BOARD MEETING will be held on Wednesday, June 9th at 6:00 p.m. in the fellowship hall. CARE TEAM will meet Wednesday, June 23rd at 10:00 a.m. in the fellowship hall.
CARE TEAM will meet Wednesday, June 23rd at 10:00 a.m. in the fellowship hall.
UPCOMING SUNDAYS: Rev. Richard Cathy will be preaching on June 13th & 20th. Rev. Robert Greene's first Sunday to preach will be June 27th.
SUNSHINE GIRL for June is Eileen Hale. The Sunshine Girls provide meals to Ashford families in times of death, birth, or illness. Please keep the church office informed of anyone needing a meal. Please sign-up on SignUp Genius if you would like to volunteer to be a Sunshine Girl.
Julianne Blackburn leads AMMY each week on Sunday evenings. If you have any questions about AMMY please email Julianne.
AMMY will be going on a mission trip to Nashville, TN June 6-11.
AMMY will not meet each week during the summer. Stay tuned for other events that will be happening.
© 2015 by Ashford Memorial Methodist Church